What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

'The new redzone approach'

I think it's a good approach - you're right about the fact it will be controlled by big gangs etc. That's pretty much how the drug/illegal trade works in real life. If you want to be an independent runner - you're gonna have to pay some sort of tax or levy to the men who control the trade, otherwise you're cutting in on their business.

Considering it's a circle around each activity and RP is encouraged, though not necessary (atm anyway) i think your best bet is to roll up, gun away etc. and if there's a big gang there, approach them unarmed and see if you can buy their blessing/protection, pay a tax etc. If they're getting 20% of your income then it's worth their while to let you process and sell it - they can let you deal with the cops and transport risk.

Then between the big gangs you might get one big gang wants control of the meth, and the other gangs are taking too much of a cut - so you'll get a big drug war on the south peninsula. That sounds fantastic.

But if you go down there on your own armed to the teeth and bounce out of your truck waving a gun around, well - it's not a smart way to do things. There are all sorts of risks involved with illegal activity.

Does this mean I need to get permission from a CSI to go arrest someone at the weed field now?

What if a police hostage gets taken into the weed field?!

Haha!

Unless they have boats or helis it looks like they have to swing by that sliver of land connecting them to the mainland. I task myself with the job of Toll Master! I will sit in my hut awaiting the dastardly rebels, and when they swing by demand £50 to pass or suffer the wrath of the worst death-stare from me you could imagine.. Yeh, that's right! They'll pay, I just know it.

Mr Cardoso, I don't think he's saying remove the risk factor, I think he's saying that independent smugglers and small gangs will be bullied out by the few large gangs. Thereby resulting in a few large rebel groups on the server and no-one bothering to create their own rebel gang, because it's near on impossible break the monopoly of big'uns. Then he's suggesting that why don't you put in alternate locations that take way more time per run but allow the smaller groups a chance at successful runs. I think it's a pretty good idea.
I understand but big gangs will always be around..

In real life, if you need to go to a zone with gangs, i guess you would need to take backup, inform the cops or strike a deal with them for passage.

We can't please everyone, but we do our best to have a fair common ground for everyone.

Unless they have boats or helis it looks like they have to swing by that sliver of land connecting them to the mainland. I task myself with the job of Toll Master! I will sit in my hut awaiting the dastardly rebels, and when they swing by demand £50 to pass or suffer the wrath of the worst death-stare from me you could imagine.. Yeh, that's right! They'll pay, I just know it.
That would be good for your CCTV project :) see how the rebels react would make good viewing!!!

I understand but big gangs will always be around..

In real life, if you need to go to a zone with gangs, i guess you would need to take backup, inform the cops or strike a deal with them for passage.

We can't please everyone, but we do our best to have a fair common ground for everyone.
I understand that big gangs will always be around, that's cool, I like big gangs. However, it doesn't mean they should be given an easy opportunity to monopolise the lucrative drug trade by camping a bunch of relatively compact red zones, that are all very close to each other on an island with a single, very slim approach. Anyway it's cool I know your doing your best for the community, let's implement it and see what happens, only time will tell. 

I do have a question about the new red zone area idea.

With that tiny chokepoint to all the areas, and assuming that is the only place to process for all the drugs. Would it not make it over simplified for us police to catch people?

As we would literally have one road to sit on to catch the vast majority of people going in and out of that area, even if they try to drive around you can see the entire chokepoint of land. Seeing as how nothing else is of interest other than illegal activities on that land mass it will be a pretty much given anyone you see is running drugs or buying illegal rebel gear.

It seems a bit like the authorities in real life going "For your drug running activities, we have moved all your processing to one convenient location that can be monitor by a small police task force down one desolate isolated road that is surrounded by water. Feel free to access all your illegal activities via this chokepoint at your convenience we hope to see you soon!"

At least from the screenshot, it looks as if all drug trafficking for the entire island has to pass through one tiny point that is overly simple to "check point" for the police.

Last edited by a moderator:

With that tiny chokepoint to all the areas, and assuming that is the only place to process for all the drugs. Would it not make it over simplified for us police to catch people?

As we would literally have one road to sit on to catch the vast majority of people going in and out of that area, even if the try to drive around you can see the entire chokepoint of land. Seeing as how nothing else is of interest other than illegal activities on that land mass it will be a pretty much given anyone you see is running drugs.

It seems a bit like the authorities in real life going "For your drug running activities, we have moved all your processing to one convenient location that can be monitor by a small police task force down one desolate isolated road that is surrounded by water. Feel free to access all your illegal activities via this chokepoint at your convenience we hope to see you soon!"

At least from the screenshot, it looks as if all drug trafficking for the entire island has to pass through one tiny point that is overly simple to "check point" for the police.
I wouldn't say simple when a big rebel group does a drug run.

As we would literally have one road to sit on to catch the vast majority of people going in and out of that area, even if the try to drive around you can see the entire chokepoint of land. Seeing as how nothing else is of interest other than illegal activities on that land mass it will be a pretty much given anyone you see is running drugs.

I couldn't agree more.

I wouldn't say simple when a big rebel group does a drug run.
True, but with one single point, that one area will just be a constant war zone of cops and big gangs all fighting each other, instead of scattered around the map and 'surprise' jumps on people on any given road. Now its "Who controls that one road rules them all", instead of it being a fight to handle multiple places across the map.

The way it is on that screenshot insures that "Whichever big gang happens to be online" will be the only people processing anything. As a handful of people standing in one spot locks down anyone getting in other than by chopper. (or boat, but who wants do 10 trips in a boat to empty a truck).

And people will  take the path of least resistance to find people running drugs. Instead of hearing about rebels seen selling drugs at X town, it will 90% of the time be that same chokepoint. It removes the "legit work trucks mixed in with illegal trucks" on the roads since it's nearly in the bag that if you want to catch someone, just wait there a few minutes and scan the first truck you see, everyone doing it has to come that way .

And from a RP standpoint any large truck coming from the south would be instant "reasonable suspicion" to search I'd think. Unless they got lost driving, there is only one thing they can be on that road for. And I can see officers using that as a "search anyone you see on this road" ruining the aspect of not knowing who or what is in the truck you pass on some random road. To me, as an officer's point of view, it takes away that "hmm I wonder if that truck on the highway is moving oil or weed". It makes it "They are coming from the south on that one road, we all know what they are up to."

just my 2 cents, its the equal to someone setting up a driveway with spotlights, and a sign that says "Community meth lab" and an arrow pointing down the driveway to a trailer. It wouldn't be hard to figure out what people turning down the driveway with pickup trucks full of boxes are up to.

Actually thinking on it to add to the issues I see with it from my last post, it will be very easy for rebels/officers to stop others from coming in/going out if they set up for it. (which is bad)

A few guys at the choke point to do the whole "officers leave or we will engage" while radioing their gang members cops are here. By the time that fight plays out, and people are arrested/killed. The ones inside have time to drive around and hide...then it's a hunt for trucks in the woods for 20 minutes for the cops. Any gang with 3-4 members that can get into process can have a convenient 5 minute warning cops are on the way...leave one guy to confront them with "RP" at the road.

Or vice versa. (also bad) if officer DO get in, you are screwed if they lay out a plan and setup, you have no way to run, you are literally cornered. A few officers left at the chokepoint to pop tires if you manage to try to escape to the north road.

The whole "shooting fish in a barrel" situation.

My 2 cents is that we should have a red zone. Just 1 red zone located around the gang hideout. This will allow gangs to fight over the hill to be used as a outlook over the drug areas. They can control the gate and offer protection; makes rules for; and/or tax the dealers as they enter the area, but if you are there to rob then you must still initiate in RP. I feel like this keeps the best of all worlds, and allows everyone to take part and have fun.

I understand the proposal but everyone at a red zone is a threat, thats the intrinsic appeal/risk of a redzone. A hobo with a holstered pistol or a rebel with an MX its all the same. If you are supposed to RP first then make it a standard zone! Threat is subjective, subjective things fall out of favour very quickly, especially when peoples [game] incomes rely on it. 

My thoughts on it is that a redzone isnt a bad idea, but to put 1/2 the money making progress lines in it is a double whammy that makes it disfavorable, not either one on its own.

What use to be tentative stressful processing of say, weed, when RP initiation was required, is now just a 'who can shoot first'.

As it seems now, without having to talk first shooting them first so you are alone and safe again, is the safest sure fire route. With redzone with "RP is encouraged but not a necessary." the path of highest survival chance is to shoot. As anyone trying to RP, with someone thats not, is the dead one 99% of the time.
The question of "Is he willing to roleplay" is the deadly choice, its playing with fire, where fire always wins. It skews the favor into people that DON'T roleplay before firing. That seems counterproductive to the idea of the server. Any area that not roleplaying gives you the upper hand, will be taken by those looking for that upper hand. Causing those that are trying to RP out the situation to be the ones that lose every time. Meaning after 2-3 times of that, even the most hardcore RP players in a redzone learned their lesson of "Ok..RP here is a death sentence, no more of that".

In no situation with someone that's after KOS will roleplaying help, or advance your chances, it's just the opposite. 

So I say keep the redzone, for those looking for just FPS KoS type gameplay. But move the needed processors out of it, as its combining 2 aspects that double intensify the 'no RP and shoot on sight' wasteland/dayz mentality due to fear of losing all you brought with you. As they aren't just shooting for the fun of allowed DM, but shooting first just to protect themselves and their cargo and be on the safe side.

I haven't really played yet, but from the screen shots, make the south island a red zone. The rules would be for rebels, they are allowed to KOS Police, but have to initiate role-play onto other rebels in the zone. For the police the rules would be, they are also allowed to KOS rebels but the command decide the rules on who and when the police can go there, I haven't really been in-game but it seems like a choke point right now.

Back