What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Computer Troubles! Please help!

Daanish

Tom is a good lad | Retired Staff
Unlinked
Hi everyone,

So. My computer is broken. Again. I'm currently using my Laptop to play ArmA etc. You see, my computer has broken down several times in the last 2 years, and now I am have a problem which I had last year. After about 20 minutes of being turned on, my computer randomly shuts down (Looks like it just loses power) and then restarts. I had this problem fixed by replacing the power supply last time, and I think it may be the issue now too. I am also thinking that it could be the effect of mini power surges in my sockets, as sometimes my phone will stop charging for a second then continue.

What do you guys think? I'm getting a guy from Sweet Haven computers to come tomorrow to take a look at it. It took them a couple weeks to find out what was wrong last time, and they tested in their shop and it was working fine, but it wasn't when it was in my home :(

Thanks in advance,

Daanish

Looks like the sockets which are cutting in and out, especially if you have replaced the power supply and your phone cuts out too.

-Vixxy ;)

You'd ideally need a UPS / Surge protector for your PC to protect it from fluctuations in the power supply.

If there are regular fluctuations from your sockets, it could be the root cause of your problems.

But it might be worth getting it confirmed if there are problems with your socket.

Maybe someone here can recommend a cheap device that can log and check the power from the socket, or perhaps call up an electrician to help you out.

EDIT: Don't also rule out the possibility of unstable over-clocking configuration and CPU overheating issues, both can easily cause reboots after a certain amount of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ups is quite cheap now considering what they used to cost, and you can pick them up in a local staples.

Don't forget to plug your router into it as well

If you have no money at all, I would suggest at least getting a surge protected power strip, so at least your not killing your psu.

Depending on whether you rent or own, it may be worth speaking to your landlord if the supply is bad to the point of damaging your equipment. Could be a faulty connection to the building that is easily resolved or a corroded breaker.

Also agree with overheating issues, but shouldn't kick your phone off charge unless is it plugged into your computer to charge???

Make sure all heatsink are clear of dust / debris.

I do have a box somewhere in my garage that beeps when the computer is drawing too much power. I haven't overclocked so heating shouldn't be a problem. Its only the 1 socket which my computer is plugged into which is losing power, and another one in a different room where I charge my phone. Everything else seems ok. It might be a faulty connection and a broken phone charger cable (Am borrowing my friends old phone charger as mine broke)

Despite these problems I am still able to play! Just went out with a couple of students :D

A computer doesn't draw that much power tbh.

Try running an extension cable from another socket on a different circuit (try from downstairs)

Doesn't matter if it's overclocked, make sure all vents and heatsinks are clean :) not only will it not crash it will run faster too

If you do have a CPU Overclock try reseting your whole bios to default a lot of the time unstable overclocks can cause your computer to randomly restart.

could be a number of things. But check:

• you have all your motherboard case screws on raisers where needed, and not overly tight
  • No OC settings
  • Memory/GPU via stress test and memcheck
  • GPU/CPU temps via CPUTemp etc. If you didn't seat your CPU correctly or apply the correct amount/spread of thermal paste, you're CPU could be turning off for safety. 
  • Remove all un-needed USB devices and HDD's incase one of them is shorting your PSU. 

Back