What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

2 in 1's and monitors!

Samatlewis

Where are the Eggplants?
Having recently started uni I think I could do with something other than my phone to enjoy the likes of Top Boy and peep show..I have a LOT of dead time commuting (3 hours, 4 days a week) and need something small to watch videos/ do document work (PDF/word the basics really) and maybe even teamspeak (not a lot of stuff really)

I was thinking of a budget of around £350 for a 2 in 1 laptop/tablet thing. Yaknow the little laptops that rotate 360 or convert into a tablet? If anyone has any suggestions that would be brilliant! I've already had some from the staff team and what not but I know here's more helpful geekys here!

Secondly I'm looking at updating my outdated monitor ( around 8 years old) and my free business monitor(courtesy of my parents) for two slightly bigger monitors that are way more up to date and pretty looking! The budget would be around £150 each (preferably lower but I could go slightly higher) 

Basically want to future proof the monitor and laptop thing and want the best value for my hard earned cash (probably my parents too, I'm a cheap bastard) 

Any help would be fucking amazing and I would really appreciate it!

I have been researching the two in one devices recently, and have to say for what they are, they are quite expensive, but certainly serve a good purpose. Surface laptops are very nice, but again quite pricey. you will want to go higher then £350 in reality otherwise just watching a film is going to hammer the processor and therefore your battery.
You could also look at going down the route of replacing your phone with a phablet with a bluetooth keyboard, this would keep your weight low and clutter free and it all fits in your pocket, so perfect for commuting. the higher price of the phablet can be offset by selling existing phone etc...
You may want to consider a small battery pack for the commute back at end of the day.

Monitors I'm not fussy as long as its 1080 and around 22" so im probably not the best person to ask ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Tablet laptop thing im completely lost, so I'm not the best to ask in that department, however when it comes to the monitors, what will be their primary use? Because you could go with 2 near identical monitors and have 1 144hz and the other 60hz if it's for gaming (you won't regret) but if you only need the basic of the basic that can be done pretty cheap, also what res should it be, 1080 or 1440 etc?

@lionelI reuse to sell my iPhone 6! I can charge my tablet at my uni and on the train so that's not much of a problem. I wish I could go higher than £350 but my wallet only stretches so far:(

@Lemmenone would be for gaming and one would be for teamspeak/videos/other shit!

@lionelI reuse to sell my iPhone 6! I can charge my tablet at my uni and on the train so that's not much of a problem. I wish I could go higher than £350 but my wallet only stretches so far:(

@Lemmenone would be for gaming and one would be for teamspeak/videos/other shit!
As much as I loathe to say it, if your already tied into the apple ecosphere, would it not be worth getting an Ipad with bluetooth keyboard ? that way your streamlining all your devices ?

As much as I loathe to say it, if your already tied into the apple ecosphere, would it not be worth getting an Ipad with bluetooth keyboard ? that way your streamlining all your devices ?
The Ipad is very impractical with everything to do with school of any kind

To future proof myself and get a proper decent set up I'd need o spend £450+ on an iPad which isn't really worth it!

In that case I'd recommend getting a cheap 144hz monitor (You can get the Asus VG248qe for 200£) and a cheap monitor for around 80£

Fair comments to both of you :) 

Fro your price range then, your looking at an Atom powered device, which imo is not going to please you in the long run :( but if that is your only choice the best i can find atm would be this HP http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L5G91EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:L5G91EA&k_clickid=EMEA|_kenshoo_clickid_&kpid=L5G91EA&gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG-Kmw9qsVLWt7Ip7e1o1OPRY-WgsBlvlwguhjLiftIShoCm3nw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLC92bmRo88CFaM72wodQUAIOQ

Although I would shell out a bit more, but price wise your going to be hard to beat this spec for spec. I would also not consider this future proofing this will do for a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair comments to both of you :) 

Fro your price range then, your looking at an Atom powered device, which imo is not going to please you in the long run :( but if that is your only choice the best i can find atm would be this HP http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L5G91EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:L5G91EA&k_clickid=EMEA|_kenshoo_clickid_&kpid=L5G91EA&gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG-Kmw9qsVLWt7Ip7e1o1OPRY-WgsBlvlwguhjLiftIShoCm3nw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLC92bmRo88CFaM72wodQUAIOQ

Although I would shell out a bit more, but price wise your going to be hard to beat this spec for spec. I would also not consider this future proofing this will do for a few years.
If I were to shell out another £100 (beg the parents) so my budget is now £450 why would you suggest? (Thank yo by the way!)

If I were to shell out another £100 (beg the parents) so my budget is now £450 why would you suggest? (Thank yo by the way!)
Beg more :( 

You can manage to reach a Lenovo Yoga or Dell at £450, but your only going to be getting i3 processor, and no SSD. So personally I wouldn't bother going that far, your pretty much in the same boat as before with similar lifespan at the same price :/

Beg more :( 

You can manage to reach a Lenovo Yoga or Dell at £450, but your only going to be getting i3 processor, and no SSD. So personally I wouldn't bother going that far, your pretty much in the same boat as before with similar lifespan at the same price :/
Well thank you! I'll see if I can beg some more as the poor Kavala hobo I am.. maybe they'll give me more if I sing bar or girl?

You will most likely find you will be better off with the HP at a lower price, as your going to have to beg a rather significant amount (£700ish) to get out of the "its only going to do" rather than this is a decent piece of kit that will last a good 5 years.

Back