What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Radios to sound more 'https://www.roleplay.co.uk/topic/146602-radios-to-sound-more-radio-like/radio like'

Gordon

Staff Lead
Staff Lead
Dev Team
Staff Team
Los Santos Police Command
Los Santos Police Trainer
Brief Summary:
Make radios sound more crackly and distorted!

Detailed Suggestion:
I think that the radios (used by police, nhs, G6, civilians, etc) should be made to sound more like you'd actually expect out of a walkie-talkie, currently, it sounds just a little too perfect.

The Pros:
More realism!

The Cons:
Harder to hear your friends/colleagues clearly?

Does this suggestion change balance on the server ?
It shouldn't provided this change happens for all radios used across the server!

I am against this for only one reason, foreigners genually are barely understood if the radio is all crackly. I remember there was a test for the radio when they changed it to be a bit like that and nobody understood me on radio because of my accent so it got changed a bit so it was more understandable i am guessing so thats is one of the only reason i vote no.

Last edited by a moderator:
rick-morty.gif

+1 I liked the noise they trialed for the radios, it made it much more realistic and as you would need to speak more clearly into it to convey the message

Maybe it could be set so that if you use the radio boosters then the radio signal would also clear up and become easier to hear others as you would expect it to

Say if the distortion is at 60% usually then useing the booster Half's the effect

-1 surely this makes it harder to understand people who are harder to understand anyway, people who dont speak very well english and scottish people 😂

-1, I already go "Repeat that?" "Come again?" "Once more?" too much for comfort, don't know if my ears are just giving up on me, but this certainly wouldn't help.

- I'm surprised!
I actually thought this was "added" with the new range-update on the radio?
I've experienced the radio as much more static and less clear, depending on the range?
It might all be in my head ? xD

Im not voting either way, though I love the idea, VOIP in the server can be hit and miss as it is, people cut out all the time and its hard to hear what people are saying sometimes as a result, you add a hectic situation into the mix and it can be chaos. I think I say "sorry you skipped a beat " hundreds of times a day xD

Though the clarity is clear until VOIP is stable i dont think it should be messed with 🙂 

+1 for normal civ radios but IRL NHS, Police and Fire Service radios use GPRS and SIM cards which utilise something called the TETRA Network, essentially eliminating noise within the signals and allowing for a full lockdown of the devices and channels Emergency Services use this also eliminates any "signal" issues as it utilises phone masts, there are dead spots in remote locations but here's a better description of the system from Quora 😄

The UK uses a digital system called “Airwave” which I think is actually just a brand name for the Tetra network.

In a nutshell, each radio isn’t really a radio, it is a terminal, effectively a sort of mobile phone.

When I press the transmit button, a brief handshake transmission goes back and forth between the terminal and the network. The terminal is requesting permission to speak. If the air is clear you talk and that suppresses any other terminal on that talkgroup from transmitting until you release your button or you warble on too long (I think its 40 seconds but am not certain).

Each terminal has a unique number and can dial up any other terminal on the system anywhere in the UK - all we need to know is the 4 digit radio number and the 3 digit prefix for the force that radio lives in. They can speak terminal to terminal for private chats (it drops out after 30 seconds if you don’t keep speaking, which can produce interesting snippets for everybody else).

If we hit the emergency button that terminal does exactly the same but sends the urgent code which gives that terminal priority on the channel until the emergency is cancelled - yes, the emer buttons do get pressed by mistake now and then. It also causes an audible alarm to go over the channel to alert everyone.

These terminals are continually being upgraded with new software, most forces now have them on locations on a map, so no telling control you are in the High Street when they can clearly see you are elsewhere.

All transmissions are recorded and retained for something like 12 months as well.

Not too sure about this, 

The majority of communication is done through the radio and for the sake of realism making it harder to understand people could negatively impact people their experience.

I am not against slightly adjusting it but I don't really see anything in changing it massively from how it works right now.

Im not voting either way, though I love the idea, VOIP in the server can be hit and miss as it is, people cut out all the time and its hard to hear what people are saying sometimes as a result, you add a hectic situation into the mix and it can be chaos. I think I say "sorry you skipped a beat " hundreds of times a day xD

Though the clarity is clear until VOIP is stable i dont think it should be messed with 🙂 
Yeah this is a big worry for me too, voice issues are already present enough without intentionally making it harder to understand people.

I think that the radios (used by police, nhs, G6, civilians, etc) should be made to sound more like you'd actually expect out of a walkie-talkie, currently, it sounds just a little too perfect.
I'm guessing you mean revert it back to how it was when the VOIP update first released which is unlikely to happen. The effect was made slightly more clearer due to people with large accents (such as Bmav) not being very understandable with the original changed radio effect.

I'm guessing you mean revert it back to how it was when the VOIP update first released which is unlikely to happen. The effect was made slightly more clearer due to people with large accents (such as Bmav) not being very understandable with the original changed radio effect.
It needn't be quite so rough, somewhere in the middle I suppose! 

It needn't be quite so rough, somewhere in the middle I suppose! 
I messed around with it a bunch before I changed it and what's in the server now was the best middle ground I was able to get

+1 for normal civ radios but IRL NHS, Police and Fire Service radios use GPRS and SIM cards which utilise something called the TETRA Network, essentially eliminating noise within the signals and allowing for a full lockdown of the devices and channels Emergency Services use this also eliminates any "signal" issues as it utilises phone masts, there are dead spots in remote locations but here's a better description of the system from Quora 😄
As someone who uses a radio on the TETRA network on the daily, I assure you, with regards to distortion, it's a LOT worse than what we have currently in-game. 

As someone who uses a radio on the TETRA network on the daily, I assure you, with regards to distortion, it's a LOT worse than what we have currently in-game. 
Is it really? I was always under the impression that TETRA radios were amazingly good for audio quality, damn, maybe we do need IRL radios then 😂

Is it really? I was always under the impression that TETRA radios were amazingly good for audio quality, damn, maybe we do need IRL radios then 😂
On paper, they should be, but most terminals have shoddy microphones to begin with which doesn't help, the clarity just isn't there.

On paper, they should be, but most terminals have shoddy microphones to begin with which doesn't help, the clarity just isn't there.
Well that's a bit shit, and a shame really, the TETRA Network was hyped up so much as well

Think it depends who you work for and what radios your issued. I've only ever used sepura ones with my job and never really had an issue unless you get that person in control who seems to be digesting their mic or you go b2b with someone who cant understand they actually have to hold their set up not just try and talk with it on the belt still ... but I hear my mates in fire complaining about the motorola's regularly being pretty crappy and quiet.

Back