What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

GSync and Arma?

DainMK

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
I know the drill... @Zeito @lionel

So, I'll keep it short, I did finally upgrade my monitor to a nice new IPS 144Hz Gsync. However, a few games have problems I think.

Games with options to toggle v-sync seem to run Gsync perfectly (Elite:Dangerous for example, my god, the difference is amazing), however certain games (Arma, Bioshock infinite) do not allow this, and often some games seem to cap themselves at 60fps (Bioshock previously gave me 200-300 frames.. Apparently ), and (as far as I can tell) I gained no benefits from Gsync. I am right in thinking the two are heavily linked?

Basically, how can I maximise this tech to work with arma? Is there something I need to edit or change to get this working? Is GeForce Experience fucking me? The difference in ED was astounding, but I have not noticed any significant changes with arma etc.

Tips? Pointers? Questions?

Please help.. Gsync looks so pretty 
1f625.png

Last edited by a moderator:
1. close arma completely

2. go to to /Documents/Arma 3 Alpha/

3. Open Arma3Alpha.cfg with notepad or something like it.

4. ctrl + f amd search for refresh, should be around line 18:

Refresh = 60;

Change it to:

refresh = 144;

5. Save

6. Hope that it works

Im not sure of it works for 144, but atleast it works for people i know at 120. But yes, arma is made for 60.

@LCN Vlad Vagin you have a gsync monitor at 144, spread your wisdom!

Last edited by a moderator:
@DainMKas @Grannezsaid - Arma and some other games will need the 144hz rate to be forced. To do it globally for everything (what you want really)

Open nVidia Control Panel from either right click, or in windows control panel, go into display settings and either set the rate to 144hz, or create a custom display resolution of whatever your monitors resolution is @ 144hz. That should be that.

V-Sync will lock your games framerate to the refresh rate. so if v-sync is on and your seeing 60FPS - its running at 60Hz. If you force it to run at 144hz as i said above and load up a game again, it should go to 144.

OK.. So after a week or so of the new monitor, I checked the nVidia panel, and yes, I was set to the old 60Hz, which I changed to 144Hz. GSync seemed to work in ED before I changed that (presumably it just rejigged the frames at a cap of 60), and after it went to 144 there was a moderate increase in quality (presumably because gsync was already working caped at 60, now its working capped at whatever I can output in ED.. Not quite 144, more like 90/100). So I guess I figured out half the battle.

So the only thing I missed is the 'hardwired' frame cap in arma code itself? As I understand it though I need to also turn VSync off in game to really benefit from the smoothness of Gsync? Is this defaulted to 'on' in arma?

@Zeito

OK.. So after a week or so of the new monitor, I checked the nVidia panel, and yes, I was set to the old 60Hz, which I changed to 144Hz. GSync seemed to work in ED before I changed that (presumably it just rejigged the frames at a cap of 60), and after it went to 144 there was a moderate increase in quality (presumably because gsync was already working caped at 60, now its working capped at whatever I can output in ED.. Not quite 144, more like 90/100). So I guess I figured out half the battle.

So the only thing I missed is the 'hardwired' frame cap in arma code itself? As I understand it though I need to also turn VSync off in game to really benefit from the smoothness of Gsync? Is this defaulted to 'on' in arma?

@Zeito
I'm sure if Arma has a hard-coded cap, though i know others are seeing high framerates where their hardware allows. As for turning v-sync off, you just do it in display options i think. Make sure you're monitor is plugged in with...DisplayPort i think.

Indeed, it is DP.

Some games don't want to give me the option for VSync though. Bioshock Infinite is one, and I'm pretty sure Arma doesn't have the option either. Let me look again..

Edit: Of course there is the option in the nVid control panel, but I have been told that needs to be on for Nvid to use GSync. On in panel, off in game.. 

arma3_27_01_2016_11_13_57_585.png

arma3_27_01_2016_11_13_59_503.png

arma3_27_01_2016_11_14_00_789.png

Back