What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Why bounty hunters need unrestricted tasers

Vaffla

Professional Troll
I recently posted a suggestion on the forum about the limitations of the bounty hunter taser, in that we can only taser people on the wanted list. You can read the full topic on the suggestions forum. Anyway, here is one such example of how that seems to make bounty hunters murderers instead of being able to use rubber bullets and restraints. If I had the rubber bullet option, I could have brought this guy to the ground and awaited police assistance (who actually was right behind me at the time) to make the arrest. Instead I had very little choice but to down the guy with lethal force. He initially claimed I RDM'd him but we settled it out via teamspeak since I explained it was still in RP from the previous incident seconds beforehand and he did draw a weapon on me and telling me to surrender.

As a further background to the video, I had just rescued an unarmed civillian from this man and another. The other attacker I had already killed again due to the taser possibly being ineffective since I don't know the names of the suspects and cannot check if they are wanted. As I returned to my car to heal up and call in police reinforcements following the firefight knowing the other attacker was still "at large", this is where the video begins.

Overall I think the roleplay could have played out far better if I (Bounty Hunters) could have use of an unrestricted taser, since using the taser right now in these situations is just too risky and lethal force can really kill roleplay just as it gets interesting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
As the SGT pulled up I did explain what happened and he helped clear the bounty from me by issuing a small fine.

Any suggestions on how I could have handled this any better? Surrendering wasn't really on my agenda after they mugged and executed an unarmed civilian, and so seeing that I had decent reason to believe even if I surrendered they might have killed me.

haha 'GUYS WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE' that's me;)

yeah it does need some unrestrictions, but i've rean into too man bountyhunters that just taze for no reason.

I understand where you're coming from and I don't believe you're wrong for killing the man, however you were VERY fast on the trigger and shot him almost instantaneously which could possibly go badly for you in the future. Just be a bit more careful and whatnot.

-Elakin ;)  

Dear Bounthunter (who is not an officer)

If I am correct (which I usually am), the reason for you not having a unrestricted taser is the because you would become too powerful, and also because you are in as a civilian, which means that the script allowing your taser to function would make it possible for all others to use the weapon or ammo type as a taser, which means everyone would be tased everywhere. Also I advise you and all other bountyhunters to try and do your bountyhunting more relaxed, as it is not meant for you to stop ongoing crimes, but to catch the criminals afterwards when they've escaped and hang around in the local getaways.

@Vaffla Hi i am interested of becoming a bounty hunter do u hang around on the ts public rooms? want to ask some questions.

If I am correct (which I usually am), the reason for you not having a unrestricted taser is the because you would become too powerful, and also because you are in as a civilian, which means that the script allowing your taser to function would make it possible for all others to use the weapon or ammo type as a taser, which means everyone would be tased everywhere. Also I advise you and all other bountyhunters to try and do your bountyhunting more relaxed, as it is not meant for you to stop ongoing crimes, but to catch the criminals afterwards when they've escaped and hang around in the local getaways.

But the issue is not when stopping crimes as they are happening, most of the time they travel in pairs or small groups, which means chances are someone in that group is not wanted meaning that during a arrest, the bounty hunter can only taze lets say 1 person while he is forced to use lethal against the other inevitably armed people. 

I could be wrong but I believe you are wrong. This would mean that civilians would be able to taze anyone who has a bounty in it's current state, right? Which they cannot.

They tasers could be abused I agree, I just think that it is only a small issue compared to hobos abusing real weapons for example. If somebody is wrongly tasered then it can be handled the same way that if a cop tased somebody without good cause. Anyone that I have come across can probably testify I have been pretty reasonable with the taser, but when it comes to group actions like that it's a hard choice. The only reason I intended to get involved in that incident was because once they killed a civilian and pick-locked a vehicle, I knew at least one of them would have a nice bounty. I gave them every opportunity to surrender.

The return shots were extremely quick yes, I could see the guy approaching as I was healing and since he had already shot at my from a previous incident, I don't think there was much room for additional RP before he would have just shot me.

(Yes I know I'm not an officer, however the reply was in the spirit of him calling me an officer. I do explain that to a lot of people, but I guess it can be a little tricky to distinguish the uniforms.)

@Vaffla Hi i am interested of becoming a bounty hunter do u hang around on the ts public rooms? want to ask some questions.
Sometimes, if you see me in-game just ask me to come on TS. We have our own private TS server for my group (won't name it to keep in line with the rules here) that I am usually on instead with all my group.

I could be wrong but I believe you are wrong. This would mean that civilians would be able to taze anyone who has a bounty in it's current state, right? Which they cannot.
At the moment only the PDW2000 has rubber bullets and it shared the 30 round 9mm ammo with the Rook 9mm for example, which is the pistol on the above video. So having an unrestricted taser would not mean all weapons could be used as rubber bullets, so you are correct.

They tasers could be abused I agree, I just think that it is only a small issue compared to hobos abusing real weapons for example. If somebody is wrongly tasered then it can be handled the same way that if a cop tased somebody without good cause. Anyone that I have come across can probably testify I have been pretty reasonable with the taser, but when it comes to group actions like that it's a hard choice. The only reason I intended to get involved in that incident was because once they killed a civilian and pick-locked a vehicle, I knew at least one of them would have a nice bounty. I gave them every opportunity to surrender.

The return shots were extremely quick yes, I could see the guy approaching as I was healing and since he had already shot at my from a previous incident, I don't think there was much room for additional RP before he would have just shot me.

(Yes I know I'm not an officer, however the reply was in the spirit of him calling me an officer. I do explain that to a lot of people, but I guess it can be a little tricky to distinguish the uniforms.)

Sometimes, if you see me in-game just ask me to come on TS. We have our own private TS server for my group (won't name it to keep in line with the rules here) that I am usually on instead with all my group.

At the moment only the PDW2000 has rubber bullets and it shared the 30 round 9mm ammo with the Rook 9mm for example, which is the pistol on the above video. So having an unrestricted taser would not mean all weapons could be used as rubber bullets, so you are correct.
It isn't a small issue I'm afraid. We must remember that the police are whitelisted and have a good reason to rubber / taze majority of time.

You may know how to play a bounty hunter correctly, but trust me, the amount of metagaming bounty hunters is out of this world.

I have just last night become a bounty hunter and there is an issue with the rubber bullets I am finding, they seem to heal people (I have not read anywhere that they are meant to do that). I would agree that Tazers would be nice to have and I would use mine properly, but I also understand that some bounty hunters do meta game and break the RP and they would probably taze. It is a difficult problem, if we could have bounty hunters white listed and then moderators in place (dedicated to bounty hunters) to deal with issues then that would be helpful.

But this may not be possible, but if we could I think this would work out really well. I do feel as a bounty hunter it is quite difficult (with no weapons) to catch the bounty so we have to think of ways to catch them, most are in gangs and are rebals and it is difficult to deal with a situation as most of the time we just get shot.

Putting the license price up higher might be useful to keep some of the trolls away, or at least people who don't understand RP. I mean if you take the time to get £5m for example to buy a bounty hunter license, most people wouldn't just throw it away by screwing around unless they were pretty dedicated to irritating people. But I think a £5m price tag might at least take the majority of problems out.

I feel unrestricted tasers would really be needed to make the role playable.

Increasing the price may be good to deter the buyer, I do not think it will stop the none RP players from abusing the system. I think and reconmend the only way to make sure that it all runs how it is meant to is if it is controlled and managed by moderators and it is white listed. The base line RP is already there for bounty hunters, we have the HQ, we have people who are experienced in the role. So it would work out very well, if we can get the go ahead for this.

Whitelisting would work, but only if it was less restrictive than the police. I mean I support getting some kind of whitelisting, but I think the attraction is that there are more freedoms than working with the police, that is certainly why I took it up. So if there is whitelisting, maybe do a little training, but I feel it would only make the experience less enjoyable if too many barriers are put up to it to it.

I'd happily volunteer to help get new bounty hunters on their feet. Even outside of the official whitelisting if somebody needs help as it can be pretty tricky without the ANPR and license plate checks etc.

I think what would be best is if we have some kind of moderator/s on board, keep the freedom but make sure we have someone that can moderate what can and can not be done as a bounty hunter. Someone that can remove the liecence if a hunter is abusing.

As bounty hunters we can get the ANPR and license plate checks?

Back